Kristi Lopez is a fiercely driven mixed martial artist (MMA) fighter, registered nurse, entrepreneur, small business owner, and adventure extraordinaire.
Kristi began in the sport of MMA 4 years ago on the island of Puerto Rico. Kristi was attending college there for a B.S in Nursing and began training at a local gym starting with mostly grappling and no-gi jiu jitsu. While there having the adventure of her life, discovering her family roots, she also found her passion of MMA.
Why is Kristi so passionate about MMA and facing off in the cage? Let’s let her tell you in her own words:
“i love mma, i love everything about it especially the journey, there is nothing that compares to stepping into the cage and winning that fight. I really feel that if you never step out of your comfort zone then you are not accomplishing all that you could. Safety and comfort can inhibit your dreams and your ability to achieve them. Every day is a journey and i am living my dreams as i reach for them. Over time most people become influenced by society and culture to be, and behave a certain way. Forget all that and work against all of it and find out who you really are, who you want to be, love and work towards it like a madwoman or madman regardless of what anyone else thinks. When time passes you by, you will realize how stupid it was to be so concerned with other people’s opinions of you. Fighting for me is as real as it gets. i have a savage side to me and i love to unleash it when I fight. Fighting between two trained warriors agreeing to do battle is honorable, raw, honest and visceral. I come from a family of warriors, my dad, my brothers, my whole family; we are all fighter’s , there is nothing that compares to stepping into the cage and winning that fight. I really feel that if you never step out of your comfort zone then you are not accomplishing all that you could.
When Kristi isn’t busy sending people to the hospital, she works as a Registered Nurse. She also started her own all natural skin care line called Toots Skin Savants. All I can say is the stuff must really work just look how beautiful Kristi is!
Kristi shares with us 10 interesting and silly facts about herself.
• If there are such things as past lives I believe I was for sure a pirate, the baddest queen ever, an ancient warrior, and an Indian shaman in a past life ha ha!
• I’ve broken my right hand 3 times, ruptured my eardrum and lost a tooth from fighting!
• I was homeschooled almost all the way until high school and then was over it and left after 2 years and enrolled myself in college; Ha ha that’s more dorky than interesting!!
• I am a certified Reiki energy healer and learning everyday about natural healing, remedies, herbs and medicine!
• I tried out for WWE divas and it was awesome just to be there because i used to play it growing up with my brothers.
• My dad has 9 brothers and 7 sisters all from the same mom and dad, i have like 70 first cousins just on my dad’s side!
• I got a cat when i was 8 that i named Sister because i had so many brothers (among many others animals we had including a peacock) i had her until college and i think she died of a broken heart when i left.
• I spent a month in Okinawa, Japan after college and it was AMAZING.
• I wrote two books and a bunch of plays when i was in grade school and would make my brothers perform them, including an awesome wild west stunt show that included stunts of jumping off the balcony onto the trampoline that we never did!
• i love talking with and hearing other people talk about aliens, spirituality, ghosts, quantum physics, philosophy, art, poetry interpretations, psychics, sociology, psychology, space, and all things weird!
Before Kristi became the Kristi we know and respect today she grew up as a competitive swimmer. She worked and trained hard and in high school she swam her way into not only the Jr Olympics, but the CIF Championships as well. After high school Kristi attended Cuesta College where she added water polo to her agenda. Once again her continued hard work paid off and she received a water polo scholarship to Cal St Monterey where she earned her first B.A. in the field of Teledramatic Arts & Technology.
As if accomplishing all that isn’t enough, it certainly wasn’t for Kristi. During her high school and college years she served as a lifeguard at beaches throughout California. To be honest I have surfed for over 20 years and never had to be dragged out by a lifeguard, but if I personally saw Kristi in the tower I would have faked my own drowning just to meet such a beautiful lady.
During her lifeguarding years Kristi accomplished all of the following:
• Scuba Certified
• EMT Certification
• Code 3 Driver Certification
• Personal water craft operator
Kristi also spent summers teaching kids of all age’s water and safety skills as part of the Jr Lifeguard program. In spite of ALL these achievements she wanted more so she flew off to Puerto Rico to study nursing with the goal of becoming an RN. Which of course she became!
I don’t know about you but I am starting to see that anything she wants to do or achieve she does so full force. Watch out MMA ladies Kristi’s coming for ya!
Now we know a bit more about this wonder woman Kristi Lopez she would like to thank the following people who were instrumental in her successes:
Shout outs and gratitude to my family for the love and support! Big thanks to Eddie Bravo and my family at 10th Planet for helping me for so long. Master Rafael Cordiero and my Kings MMA family. Thanks to my strength and conditioning coach Matt Olaya of M80 roller. American Liberty Bail Bonds, 1-888-bailguy. Furious brand family for the coolest shirts. Check outEvanLopez.com and download some cool music, you won’t regret it! Thanks to Toots Skin Savants for keeping my skin soft!
Kristi can be contacted and followed here: